Cake? Or Death?

It rained/poured/thundered ALL DAY today. Just as I was coming up with plans in my mind of how I was going to get G in the car for piano lessons amidst the buckets of water hurtling from the sky, both of my piano families called, begging me to cancel. They said that there was tons of lightning, most of it hitting the ground.

hmm, cake? or death?

I’ll take cake.

Actually, 2 pizzas and a loaf of bread!

That’s right, I spent my rainy day baking!!

Consider this a huge accomplishment. 2 years ago, when my family was here for Thanksgiving, my mom gave up asking me where anything was in the kitchen– I simply didn’t know! I was working a full-time job, a part-time job, and attempting to take grad school classes! Cooking didn’t enter into the equation one bit.

Believe it or not, I used to cook for Jesse a lot during our first year of marriage in Whittier. Looking back, I can’t believe I ever made anything in that tiny two-counter kitchen!

Setting out to cook all 3 items, I was glad for the tons of counter space I have now. I had a dough rolling station, a dough mixing station, a pan cooling station, a dirty dishes station, and a “Kelly’s water and granola bars” station. Not efficient, I know. But, then again, we have a big kitchen, so I don’t need to be.

By the way, I know you caught my shout-out to my granola bars that I made the other night. They were DELISH. Tastes like a dessert, healthy as breakfast!

Moving on. I’d best let the rest of the evening unfold through pictures. I took these, not to show off my crappy camera/cooking skills, but to PROVE to my mother that I now know where the measuring cups are.

My first creation: cheese/salami pizza with home made crust! I made it first as a trial run since I've never made pizza crust before. Also, I was hungry. I forgot to take a picture before I ate a slice. It was THAT GOOD. I saved half of the pizza for Jesse's lunch tomorrow.

My lovely loaf of bread! Turned out perfect!

My squirmy, whiny baby finally fell asleep, tied in a sling to my back as I was kneading the dough. Once he was asleep, I gently untied the wrap while leaning towards the bed. He stayed asleep, even as I transferred him! Getting to cook without having to coax him into his afternoon nap? WIN!!

Next, on to the vegan pizza for Jesse (since it's Wednesday). Sauteing the onions and garlic. Mmmmmm.

Added the chickpeas, crushed them amidst the garlic and onions, added water and basil and let it simmer...smelling sooo yummy at this point...

G, up from his nap and playing happily by himself, far far away from me and the stove...

Tackling my second pizza crust of the night...look! CRUSTOS ANESTI!!! Hahaha....okay, too much?

Spreading the yummy mixture on my perfect crust

Spinach and tomatoes....mmmmm!!!!

All cooked and NUMMY!! Funny enough, this picture looks nearly identical to the last one. Too bad they don't have scratch and sniff blogs. This smelled/tasted amazing.

The timing couldn't have been better. Jesse walked in the door, and I handed him a hot slice of bread with butter and honey, along with a cold beer. The pizza had just finished, and was soon devoured by all...


3 thoughts on “Cake? Or Death?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s